SAMUEL A. FRIEDE, MBA, FACHE
Samuel A. Friede, MBA, FACHE, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Policy and Management of the University Pittsburgh’s Graduate School of Public Health. He teaches Fundamentals of Healthcare Governance; Integrated Delivery Systems and Networks; Intro to the US Healthcare Delivery System; and initiated Leadership, Professionalism and Career Development. Friede as Director of External Relations is responsible for MHA residencies and other practice activities and was the founding Director of the Governance Initiative at the University’s Health Policy Institute.
Friede provides retreat facilitation services and board consulting specializing in board self-assessment and governance improvement for healthcare organizations. He is a Facilitator for the Quality Curriculum for Trustees and a member of the Speakers Express of the American Hospital Association’s Center for Healthcare Governance. Friede has written peer reviewed governance articles for Trustee and Modern Healthcare and presented governance lectures in many states, at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Homes and Services for the Aging, at the Congress on Healthcare Management of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) and at many ACHE Chapters. He was a member of the 2012 Blue Ribbon Panel for the Center for Healthcare Governance’s Monograph Governance Practices in an Era of Health Care Transformation.
Previously, Friede was a Senior Consultant for VHA Pennsylvania and the Director of the Consulting and Trustee Services for The Hospital Council of Western Pennsylvania. He has been the Vice President of Medical Affairs and Administrative Services for Shadyside Hospital, Pittsburgh PA. Also, Friede was the Vice President for Operations at Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh PA and has held management positions in Rochester NY, Chicago and New York City.
Friede, a recipient of the 2008 ACHE Service Recognition Award and the 2005 ACHE Regent's Award, is an ACHE fellow, a past ACHE regent, a past president of the Chicago Health Executives Forum and the founding president of ACHE of Western PA. He is a board director at ACMH Hospital, Kittanning PA and was the board secretary of the Center for Organ Recovery and Education, Pittsburgh PA. Friede is a member of the Trustee Leadership Steering Committee of The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania and the Ethics Committee of St. Clair Hospital, Mt. Lebanon PA. He is listed in Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare.
Friede earned a master’s degree in business administration with specialization in hospital administration from the University of Chicago and holds a bachelor’s degree in biology and history from Columbia University.
Hospital Trustees and Leadership Teams-Working Together to Enhance Governance
- The presentation will review the interconnected roles of hospital trustees and the leadership team.
- Five major trustee responsibilities re. planning, finance, quality, the CEO and internal governance will be reviewed.
- The presentation will focus on specific ways in which the leadership team (from CEO to other members of the C-suite) can work with hospital trustees to enhance governance regarding the five major trustee responsibilities.
Quality Curriculum for Trustees
- This program designed by CHG, HAP and The PA Patient Safety Authority provides trustees with a strong foundation for fulfilling their accountability for ensuring the delivery of high quality and safe care to the community.
- This governance development program provides a unique opportunity for the management team, quality and patient safely leaders to engage in dialogue about how to strengthen the commitment and efforts related to quality and safety.
Board Self-Assessment that Results in Governance Enhancement
- This presentation focuses on the value of conducting a board self-assessment, establishing a Governance Review Task Force (TF) and a Work Plan.
- The value of reviewing self-assessment results first by the TF and then by the full board is emphasized.
- The importance of the board approving a Governance Enhancement Plan is stressed.
Retreat Facilitation (“Have Flipchart, Will Travel”) for one or more of the following
- Self-Assessment leading to a Governance Enhancement Plan
- Strategic Planning (e.g. SWOT)
- Continuing Governance Education re. Board Roles & Responsibilities
- Breakout Presenter
- Group Facilitator
- Keynote Presenter
- Presentation Moderator
- Webinar Presenter